- July 30, 2020
- Posted by: Editor
- Category: Law
Ireland is a welcoming country when it comes to various nationalities around the world. The fact that it has English as an official language also makes it preferable to other European states. This is also available for South African citizens who find Ireland a country with many investment and employment opportunities.
If you want to move to Ireland from South Africa and need assistance, we have a team of immigration lawyers who can help you with all the formalities. Our services are also available for nationals of other countries interested in immigration to Ireland.
How to immigrate to Ireland from South Africa
From the beginning, we would like to mention that those who come from South Africa to Ireland for tourism purposes do need a visa, however, they must present a valid passport upon arrival.
There are several types of visas available for those who want to move to Ireland from South Africa, no matter if they want to stay here temporarily or permanently. If for tourists the requirements are simpler and imply an airway ticket, proof of accommodation and travel insurance, for those who decide to immigrate to Ireland, these requirements are a little more extensive.
Depending on the reason to move to Ireland from South Africa, one of the following visas can be obtained:
- the short-stay visa which is issued for specific purposes such as business, marriage, temporary employment, medical treatment, etc. for stays of maximum 90 days;
- the long-term visa which is issued for employment, study, family reunification and other reasons that imply staying in Ireland for more than 90 days;
- the entrepreneur visa which is issued to foreign citizens interested in setting up companies in Ireland and which requires a minimum investment of 75,000 euros;
- the Irish residence permit by investment visa which is issued through a special program requiring a minimum amount of 1 million euros.
Our immigration lawyer in Ireland can offer tailored assistance to those who move from South Africa here based on the types of visas they are interested in.
What is the simplest way of moving to Ireland from South Africa?
Citizens who want to move to Ireland from South Africa can decide on the type of visa they want to apply for based on their relocation reasons and whether they want to stay here for a short or long period of time. As mentioned above, we can help with the procedure and paperwork that needs to be prepared and filed with the Irish Embassy in South Africa.
Among the simplest way of immigrating to Ireland from South Africa are business and employment. However, when it comes to work visas, those to come here must enter one of the employment schemes provided by the Irish government. One must pay attention to the scheme he or she falls under in order to meet the salary criteria.
Our immigration lawyer can offer detailed information on the options available for those who want to move to Ireland from South Africa based on labor contracts. Persons relocating permanently here for employment or for other reasons will also have the possibility to apply for Irish citizenship.
Documents to prepare when moving from South Africa to Ireland
The list of documents to be filed with the Irish Embassy in South Africa upon immigration to Ireland comprises:
- a valid passport which must have a 6 months validity period and two blank pages for the visa;
- proof of accommodation (we offer various expat services associated with moving to Ireland);
- the reason for immigration must be presented under the form of specific documents;
- medical insurance which needs to cover medical expenses worth at least 30,000 euros.
If you are planning to move to Ireland from South Africa and need assistance, our immigration lawyer can offer personalized advice and can help with the preparation and review of the immigration file.
FAQ on moving to Ireland from South Africa
Here are some answers to the questions asked by those who want to move to Ireland from South Africa:
- Can I move to Ireland if I don’t have employment?
It is possible to move to Ireland without employment, however, you will need another reason, such as study or retirement for relocation. These must be supported by appropriate documentation.
- How long does it take to obtain the visa if I move to Ireland from South Africa?
Depending on the type of visa you apply for, it can be issued in a few weeks.
- How long after moving to Ireland can I apply for permanent residency?
You can apply for an Irish residence permit issued on a permanent basis after living here for 5 years.
- Is it possible to obtain Irish citizenship if I am a South African?
Yes, you can obtain an Irish passport through marriage, naturalization, or by investment.
If you plan to move to Ireland from South Africa and need assistance, please contact our immigration lawyer.